Saturday, August 30, 2014

Creating an Efficient Workplace in Your Home.



Being a student (like me) or having a job that requires you to work at or from home can be difficult when you don’t have a separate room or work space. I used to study all over the place which in turn, distractions would pop up all over the place. You know, the bed, kitchen, floor, the couch, even the bathroom floor at times (don't ask, I'm weird). Its nice to have a small workplace for your inspirations to come alive, so here are some of my tips in creating an efficient, small workplace in your own home.


Separate Your Work From Your Private Life

That is, a separate area away from your living space. For me I have a separate room just for my studies and work, but before that, my desk would be in the corner of an isolated place in the house. Even placing something like a closet as a wedge between your living space and a wall works. Eliminating your distractions is key!

Distractions

Place your technology far far away from you! I personally like turning the wifi off, but if i need to use the internet, i have an app on my Macbook called 'Self Control'. There are similar programs for windows users too. It's free and lets you add websites to a list to block for a set amount of time. Until the timer ends or you restart your computer, you'll be unable to access the sites. This way i won't 'accidentally' end up on Facebook, online shopping, youtube for hours instead

Brightness

If possible, place your home office in front of natural sunlight or at best, work under bright light! This subconsciously creates a more motivating atmosphere believe it or not. Like who loves to work in darkness or under dull lighting! 

Make sure everything you need is at arm's reach

Your textbooks, folders, writing materials, laptops, chargers etc. Have them at the corner of your table or a bookshelf near you. This way you won't be wandering around the house to pick it up and in turn become distracted by something. This way everything is in place and you can get things done faster! 

Tell me, what are your tips for studying or working from home? 





No comments:

Post a Comment